Careers and Awards
Senior Health Economist, Innovation and Commercialization Support
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Start Date: June 1, 2018 or as soon as possible thereafter
Salary and Benefits: $110,000 to $130,000 and comprehensive health/dental plan
Deadline for Application: Posting will remain open until filled
The Alberta-based Institute of Health Economics (IHE) conveys evidence-based research on complex healthcare issues to provincial and national decision-makers in health policy and practice. The IHE is an independent, not-for-profit organization that receives support from partners in government, academia, and industry, with key competencies in health economics and decision analytic modeling, health technology assessment (HTA), and knowledge transfer/exchange.
The IHE’s vision is to assist decision-makers in health policy and practice with results from economic evaluations and costing and cost-effectiveness analyses, and with syntheses of findings from research in HTA. The IHE’s core objectives are to:
- support decision-making in health policy and practice with evidence from research in health economics and HTA;
- assess the medical, economic, social, and ethical implications of both established and new health practices, procedures, and technologies; and
- facilitate discussions and partnerships among government, academia, industry, and healthcare providers to address important issues in health care.
Following the appointment of Dr. Christopher McCabe as Chief Executive Officer and Executive Director, the IHE is seeking to appoint a Senior Health Economist to join the Institute for the next phase of our development as a leading health economics and policy research organization.
Roles and Activities:
Position duties will include:
- Leading the development of health economics project proposals, including headroom analyses, economic evaluations, and value of information assessments for biopharmaceutical, medical device, and health IT multi-national enterprises (MNEs)
- Working with other members of the Innovation and Commercialization Support team in developing HTA value dossier proposals
- Liaising with partners in the Alberta Real World Evidence Consortium on proposal development and delivery of commissioned projects
- Liaising with Alberta's small and medium-sized enterprise (SME) support agencies to develop and deliver health economic support to Alberta SMEs
- Developing work plans for the successful execution of commissioned work
- Project management of commissioned health economics projects
The post-holder will be supported by the in-house administration, communications, and events management teams at the IHE, as required.
The successful candidate will have a PhD in Economics/Health Economics or a Quantitative Discipline along with the following essential experience:
- Prior work experience in applied health economics and a minimum of 6 years post PhD experience.
- Demonstrated team leadership responsibilities.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, and strong interpersonal skills.
- Evidence of successfully working in a multi-disciplinary team.
- Preference given to applicants with a specialization in decision analytic cost-effectiveness modeling, economic evaluations alongside clinical trials, and health outcomes measurement and valuation and demonstrated expertise in using Routine Data/Real World Evidence in the economic evaluation of health technologies would be.
- Experience in mathematical modeling of diseases, especially infectious diseases.
- Knowledge of Canadian Health Care systems would be advantageous.
- Experience of working with Small and Medium Size companies and University-based innovators, in the early evaluation of health technologies.
- Fluent English proficiency required.
The IHE is located in downtown Edmonton and provides an excellent working environment. Interested individuals are encouraged to submit a cover letter and CV and contact Dr. McCabe’s office (email@example.com) to arrange an informal discussion prior.
Contact number (780) 448-4881 and/or fax number (780) 448-0018.
Preference will be given to Citizens of Canada and Permanent Residents.