Careers and Awards
IHE Principal Research Lead
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Date of Posting: November 21, 2019
Deadline for Application: December 31, 2019
Duration and Term: Permanent, full-time
The Institute of Health Economics (IHE) is a vibrant and growing not-for-profit research organization seeking a Principal Research Lead (PRL) to support its health technology assessment (HTA) program. The IHE assists decision-makers in health policy and practice with syntheses of findings from clinical research, and with results from economic evaluations, costing, organizational performance, and cost-effectiveness analyses. The IHE’s projects and services include provincial policy studies and national and international collaborations.
Role and Activities:
The PRL will report to the Associate Director of the HTA Unit, and will be responsible for undertaking HTA projects as assigned by the Associate Director. The PRL will lead the project team and, in consultation with project requestors and other stakeholders, will develop and formulate research strategies and approaches, undertake critical reviews, analyze and synthesize data from the scientific literature or local sources, prepare HTA reports, and present research findings to project requestors and other stakeholders. If needed, the PRL may also assist with projects where another PRL is the lead.
Internal and External Relations, Interfaces, and Teams:
The PRL will work closely with all research staff within project teams (including information specialists, HTA researchers, health economists, internal/external reviewers, and editors), as well as individually. The PRL will connect with other HTA professionals across Canada and around the world, liaise with visiting fellows and HTA professionals, and represent the IHE at provincial, national, and international meetings/conferences.
The ideal candidate would possess the following qualifications:
- A PhD in a health- or science-related field, or a master's degree plus 5 years post-qualification experience
- 2 to 3 years of experience in the health sector (government or health research)
- An understanding of best practices for HTA research methods with a detailed knowledge of HTA methods and processes
- A good understanding of the Alberta health care system and knowledge of the decision-making processes within the province
- A broad knowledge of research methods (primary and secondary) used in the development and application of HTAs and in the peer-review process for scientific reports
- Experience in conducting systematic reviews and skills in critical appraisal methods
- Excellent presentation, writing, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Strong project management and time management skills, to manage concurrent projects, and to ensure goals and deadlines are met and quality levels are maintained
- Skilled in the use of office, statistical, and bibliographic software programs
- Ability to continuously seek improvement in work and research methods
Salary and Benefits:
Remuneration is commensurate with qualifications and experience. The IHE offers a competitive benefits package.
Please email your application package including a cover letter and resume by December 31, 2019, close of business (4 p.m. MST) to Justin Pitt at [email protected]. Three references are required, but referees will only be approached in the event of a job offer.
We thank all applicants for their interest;
however, only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.