Careers and Awards
IHE Economist / Analyst
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Date of Posting: February 5, 2020
Deadline for Application: February 21, 2020 (all applications received prior to the closing date will be considered; the position will remain open until filled)
Time Commitment: This position is offered on a full- or part-time basis
The Institute of Health Economics (IHE) is currently recruiting an Economist and/or Data Analyst to support the Health Economics team's growing portfolio of work with government and non-profit research sponsors. More than one position may be available. The successful candidate(s) will work both independently and as part of a team to conduct analysis on a range of topics, including health policy development and implementation, health service interventions and reforms, and clinical studies. The successful candidate will design and conduct research studies, develop and analyze economic models, and prepare and disseminate results to multiple stakeholders. The role requires an excellent understanding of econometrics, and/or advanced applied statistics or epidemiology. Knowledge of cost-effectiveness analysis would be an asset. Opportunities exist for the successful candidate to develop their own research agenda.
The IHE is investing in our capacity to generate evidence for policy-makers using routinely collected administrative and clinical data. The role will include a significant focus on the use of Alberta’s comprehensive data assets for the analysis of healthcare policy and interventions. Experience in working with administrative or other large data sets is essential.
Roles and Activities
The specific responsibilities of the Economist/Analyst include the following:
- Development and implementation of research studies, including cost-effectiveness analyses, return-on-investment (ROI) modelling, and policy evaluations
- Consultation with key experts for data collection and study validation
- Project coordination, when applicable
- Dissemination of results through research reports, publications in scientific journals, presentations at conferences (poster and oral), and presentations to and interpretations for project sponsors, stakeholders, and end-users
- Possibility of leading projects and mentoring staff, dependent on prior experience
Appointments will be made at a level commensurate with individual skills and experience.
The ideal candidate would possess the following qualifications:
- Graduate degree in Economics, Health Economics, Epidemiology, or closely related field
- Experience in applying methods of causal inference to observational data
- Ability to design, conduct, and analyze economic models
- Experience in applied health economic evaluation preferred
- Experience in HTA and/or policy-oriented work is a strong asset
- Strong time management skills and ability to self-supervise
- Excellent writing, communication, interpersonal, and critical thinking skills are required
- Experience and demonstrated ability undertaking relevant analyses using R, Python, Stata, MS Excel, or other software packages
Salary and Benefits
Remuneration is commensurate with qualifications and experience. The IHE offers a competitive benefits package, including a health/dental plan and pension contribution.
Early and mid-level career professionals are encouraged to apply. Interested candidates are invited to submit a letter of interest and CV by February 21, 2020, close of business (4 p.m. MST), to [email protected]. (Note: The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.) For further enquiries about the post or to arrange an informal discussion, please contact Dr. Jeff Round ([email protected]).
About the Institute of Health Economics
The IHE is a not-for-profit organization that assists decision-makers in health policy and practice with the results from economic evaluations, costing, organizational performance, and cost-effectiveness analyses, and with syntheses of findings from research in health technology assessment (HTA). We specialize in producing health economic evidence including decision analytic modelling, econometric analysis, HTA, and knowledge transfer/exchange. The IHE is a founding partner of the Alberta Real World Evidence Consortium, and is a leader in the use of real-world data for health system optimization and life cycle HTA activity.
The IHE’s core objectives are to:
- support decision-making in health policy and practice with evidence from research in health economics and HTA;
- assess the medical, economic, social, and ethical implications of both established and new health practices, procedures, and technologies; and
- facilitate discussions and partnerships among government, academia, industry, and healthcare providers to address important issues in health care.
For more information about the IHE, our team, and our work, please visit www.ihe.ca.
We thank all applicants for their interest;
however, only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.